The American Transportation Research Institute (ATRI), the not-for-profit research arm of the trucking industry, is helping the Mid America Association of State Transportation Officials (MAASTO) understand truck driver issues with truck parking in the Midwest, which is comprised of the following states: Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, and Wisconsin. The survey results will allow the state DOTs to better address the parking needs of truck drivers.
All responses to this survey will be kept strictly confidential and will only be reported in aggregate form. Due to the sensitivity of this research, under NO circumstances will we release any of your personal or organizational information.
1. In what segment of the trucking industry do you primarily operate? (choose one)
2. If for-hire, which sector best describes your operation? (choose one)
3. Which of the following best describes your employment? (choose one)
4. What is your average length of haul? (choose one)
5. If you are an employee or leased driver, how many total tractors does your fleet operate? (choose one)
6. Please estimate the percentage of all miles you travel in MAASTO states: IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI:
7. How often do you need truck parking in the MAASTO region?
8. On average, how long does it take for you to find parking in the MAASTO region?
9. In which of the MAASTO states is it easiest to find truck parking? (choose one)
10. In which of the MAASTO states is it hardest to find truck parking? (choose one)
11. At facilities you regularly use for the truck parking in the MAASTO region for the mandated 10-hour rest break, how full are the parking areas on average?
12. Please indicate your level of agreement with the following statement: It is easy to find truck parking in the MAASTO region in comparison to truck parking in the rest of the U.S.
13. If truck parking is unavailable, how often do you park in an unauthorized location in the MAASTO region (e.g. road shoulder or ramp)?
14a. How often do you personally experience rest area time limit restriction issues in the MAASTO region?
14b. How often do you personally experience parking only being available on ramps or shoulders in the MAASTO region?
14c. How often do you personally experience parking only being available in unsafe locations in the MAASTO region?
14d. How often do you personally experience your truck getting damaged while parked in the MAASTO region?
14e. How often do you personally experience no parking available for oversize vehicle configurations in the MAASTO region?
15. What technologies do you use in your truck? (choose all that apply)
16. What tools do you currently use to plan where to park? (choose all that apply)
17. What three tools do you use most to find available parking? (choose up to 3)
18. How do you primarily learn about trucking industry news and events? Please choose your top three media sources:
19. What is your gender?
20. What is your age?
Please provide any additional comments.